Sunday, November 9, 2008

Still no texts...

We're now going on five days and I still have yet to receive a text notification from Text Me OD about the results of the Presidential or the local congressional elections.

In fact, I haven't received ANY text AT ALL from The Observer-Dispatch's text messaging service.

This is troubling for two reasons:

1) I signed up for text message "News Alerts," touted by the site as "breaking local or national news." There has clearly been breaking news both nationally and locally (Presidential election and congressional election among other things) since my signing up for the service, yet I have not been notified of anything via text.

2) I also signed up to receive texts of "Local Sports News" for my alma mater New Hartford Senior High School. According to the OD's website, with "Local Sports News," users receive "up-to-date sports scores from your favorite local high school and college teams." However, that doesn't seem to be the case as my former high school captured the Section III football championship Friday night and I never received a text with score updates nor a message indicating the final results. In fact, if I had not been following along on the OD's website throughout the season, I would not have even known New Hartford was playing in the championship game.

It seems like this experiment of signing up for the OD's text messaging service has turned out to be quite revealing in a rather unflattering way...

1 comment:

Suzanne Levinson said...

I'm not surprised... I bet they DID read your post, though. Way to tell it like it was.