Sunday, September 7, 2008

A professional perspective

Since this blog - and those of my classmates - offers an amatuer's take on the world online journalism, I thought it might be a good idea to take a look at what a professional has to say about journalism in the online age.

Howard Owens, director of digital publishing for Gatehouse Media, Inc., runs a blog for the company focusing on - you guessed it - online journalism. It's definitely worthwhile to take a look at what Owens - someone who has has been in the journalism business for all of his professional life - has to say about journalism and its evolving platforms.

I find this quite refreshing (from Owens' "About" section), "Of course, now I’m fully a digital guy. But all the things I’ve always loved about journalism - serving the community, keeping people informed, shining a light into corners of darkness - are still a part of my daily motivation, but now I’m helping lead the change to a new way of doing things, a new form of journalism, one that I think is better and more useful to society. That’s just plain exciting."

So, without further ado: Howard Owens...

No comments: