Tuesday, September 9, 2008

ABC News: On Campus

Before I head off to The Miami Herald for a class field trip (I feel like I'm in third grade saying that), I wanted to share something that I think is very innovative and, quite frankly, awesome for student journalists.

ABC News has launched a website for news reported by college students. It's called "ABC News: On Campus." The site is contributed to by five schools: Syracuse University, Arizona State University, the University of Florida, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the University of Texas at Austin. Stories are delivered in several forms - from articles to videos to photographs.

I think this is pretty cool. What better way can a student journalist get noticed than to contribute to one of the most powerful news organizations (ABC) in the world? It's also a good barometer for us to see the work of students from some schools that are considered to have the best journalism programs in the country.

My only question is this: Can we - the University of Miami - get in on this? I mean the Gators (ugh) are involved. How about the U?

That's all for now. Check back tomorrow as I'll share my thoughts on our trip the Herald.

No comments: