Monday, September 22, 2008

Online Journalism in Action (Part 1)

To this point, most of my discussion regarding online journalism has focused on the added responsibilities assigned to reporters and editors. I've discussed my own experiences with online journalism and how it has changed my role as a freelance reporter for The Miami Herald and also as a sports intern for The Observer-Dispatch.

However, today, I'm going to focus on yet another aspect of the craft - the immediacy of online journalism. I touched upon this element - albeit briefly - when I wrote about my work with the Herald (specifically my being required to call in game scores after each quarter). But, now we're going to take a firsthand look at online journalism and its unique offering of immediacy by following a breaking news story from The Orlando Sentinel website.

The purpose of this is to take note of changes (specifically additions) made to the story over time (note the time stamps), and to realize the ability of online journalism to offer immediate updates on breaking news stories (something that cannot be accomplished with print media).

So, without further ado, here's the first version of the story (check back to the blog for updated versions):

Two found dead in New Smyrna home

Bianca Prieto Sentinel - Staff Writer
2:55 PM EDT, September 22, 2008


New Smyrna police are investigating the deaths of two people found in a home this morning.

The bodies of a man and woman were found by an officer doing a well-being check around 9:35 a.m. today.

The names of the victims have not been released.

Police did not say how the two died.

Check back for more information.

No comments: